forum.LC8.info Foren-Übersicht  
FAQFAQ Knowledge BaseKnowledge Base SuchenSuchen KarteKarte KalenderKalender FotoalbumFotoalbum RegistrierenRegistrieren ProfilProfil LoginLogin

Clutch an noises from the engine
Gehe zu Seite 1, 2  Weiter

Neues Thema eröffnen   Neue Antwort erstellen     forum.LC8.info Foren-Übersicht -> Adv - Technik/Reparatur Beiträge der letzten 24h (nach Forum sortiert)
Vorheriges Thema anzeigen :: Nächstes Thema anzeigen  
Autor Nachricht
Albert1000Offline
Speichenputzer

Beiträge insgesamt: 29

BeitragVerfasst am : Do, 21. Aug 2003, 8:59    Titel: Antworten mit Zitat

Hi to all LC8's owners, an amazing rocket that I bought on may 31 2003. Sorry, but i don't speak german, I'm Italian, just a bit of English.
My LC8 (the silver one) has a little problem, even if i'm not a very fast driver and so i don't stress the engine too much. Now the bike has 2800 km.
The dealer has just changed the clutch's housing (= primary transmission), but there is again a noise from the engine that nobody can explain: sometimes ( just sometimes) at low RPM (from 1000 to 2000 rpm) there is a very strong noise, it sounds like a chain that hits something when rounding. Does anyone know something about this?

Thanks and gute reise with our fantastic LC8

Alberto

Benutzer-Profile anzeigen 
RobOffline
Hinterradspezi

Beiträge insgesamt: 1576
KTM 790 R 2020
 →  1.000 km
BMW R 1250 GS

BeitragVerfasst am : Do, 21. Aug 2003, 9:23    Titel: Antworten mit Zitat

Ciao Alberto

if it sounds like bell ringing in a high to mid tone range ... My LC8 has this sounds also - but I don't know what it is or what it could be. I'll wait until the 7'500km service. In case you find the answer / solution please post it here ...

Greetings from Switzerland
Rob

BongoloOffline
Speichenputzer

Beiträge insgesamt: 38

BeitragVerfasst am : Do, 21. Aug 2003, 9:40    Titel: Antworten mit Zitat

Ciao Alberto,

I assume that this sound mainly appears after starting the engine. If this is fact the sound is from the timing-chain tensioner. This part needs a certain oil pressure to get the right tension. After starting the engine it takes a few seconds before the pressure is up and then the noise should dissappear. If this is not the case your dealer should check the tensioners and probably change them.

CU

Bongolo

Albert1000Offline
Speichenputzer

BeitragVerfasst am : Do, 21. Aug 2003, 10:19    Titel: Antworten mit Zitat

Bongolo hat folgendes geschrieben:
Ciao Alberto,

I assume that this sound mainly appears after starting the engine. If this is fact the sound is from the timing-chain tensioner. This part needs a certain oil pressure to get the right tension. After starting the engine it takes a few seconds before the pressure is up and then the noise should dissappear. If this is not the case your dealer should check the tensioners and probably change them.

CU

Bongolo

I agree, it should be the camshaft chain. The problem is that sometimes it appears when the engine is warm, too. I am a bit afraid because the oil light is flickering at idle rpm when there is the noise. But the dealer says it's not the camshaft chain.

Anyway, thank you very much

BongoloOffline
Speichenputzer

BeitragVerfasst am : Do, 21. Aug 2003, 10:36    Titel: Antworten mit Zitat

The flickering oil light ist the indicator that the noise is really coming from the tensioners. You should try to adjust your idle-speed a little higher. It seems to me that it is a little too low to ensure a proper oil pressure.

CU

Bongolo

Albert1000Offline
Speichenputzer

BeitragVerfasst am : Do, 21. Aug 2003, 11:13    Titel: Antworten mit Zitat

Bongolo hat folgendes geschrieben:
The flickering oil light ist the indicator that the noise is really coming from the tensioners. You should try to adjust your idle-speed a little higher. It seems to me that it is a little too low to ensure a proper oil pressure.

CU

Bongolo

yes, I'll try to set an idle speed higher. At first I set it to 1000 rpm, now is 1200 rpm. The owners manual says 1400 rpm. What is your idle speed?

Sunday I will go to raduno del passo del Muraglione, near Forlì in the Appennino Mountains (Northern Italy) . Is a very beautiful raduno with a fantastic road and an enormous number of bikes: LC8 must be there! Everyone is welcome...

Ciao e grazie

BongoloOffline
Speichenputzer

BeitragVerfasst am : Do, 21. Aug 2003, 11:47    Titel: Antworten mit Zitat

Hey, this is a KTM not a Harley! Laughing 1.000 rpm is FAR too low! Set it to 1.400 like the manual says (R.T.F.M.)* and you won't have to worry again! ;)

CU

Bongolo

*Read The Fucking Manual Razz

Albert1000Offline
Speichenputzer

BeitragVerfasst am : Do, 21. Aug 2003, 12:20    Titel: Antworten mit Zitat

I read that fucky manual, but I set the idle lower than suggested in attempt to avoid radiator fan continuously starts in the traffic at low speed. But I see that's doesn't works... and creates other problems...
Yes may be it works to set the idle higher, but It has been at 1000-1100 rpm for three months and there was no noise, this appeared two weeks ago. In this moment i have an idea: may be that a little trash in the oil has reduced the hole of oil passages (increasing the friction loss) after 2800 km and so at so low rpm the oil pump can't create enough pressure to beat that loss: may be, this is a logic explanation.

Many thanks. Ciao

I'll keep the trottle gas wide open: no noises just KTM V-twin sound...

BongoloOffline
Speichenputzer

BeitragVerfasst am : Do, 21. Aug 2003, 12:26    Titel: Antworten mit Zitat

Possible that there are influences like different oil viscosity, chips or wear in the oil channels which made the behaviour of your bike change. But I can definately tell you that the permanent work of the fan in city traffic is normal. This engine is HOT!!! wub

Best wishes!

Bongolo

Albert1000Offline
Speichenputzer

BeitragVerfasst am : Do, 21. Aug 2003, 13:09    Titel: Antworten mit Zitat

Yes Bongolo , this is a real HOT engine and warms a lot from the exaust, too. My wife's right leg knows very well the problem... I've read that here in Italy someone has installed an other fan taken from a KTM 640 Rally on the right water cooler and he says that works
BongoloOffline
Speichenputzer

BeitragVerfasst am : Do, 21. Aug 2003, 13:40    Titel: Antworten mit Zitat

KTM is working on the heat problem. Keep your ears open. They will offer a solution soon.

CU

Bongolo

SzepyOffline
Speichenputzer

Beiträge insgesamt: 30

BeitragVerfasst am : Fr, 22. Aug 2003, 16:59    Titel: Antworten mit Zitat

The problem is simply, low oil level. The lamp flashes on low rpm, the chain tensioner can not work properly.
I had the same oil lamp flashes and the bike needed more half a liter of oil.
After that the sound and the oil pressure problems are solved!

Szepy
SOMMER KTMOffline
Angstnippelbeschneider
Beiträge insgesamt: 702

BeitragVerfasst am : Fr, 22. Aug 2003, 17:58    Titel: Antworten mit Zitat

Albert1000 hat folgendes geschrieben:
Yes Bongolo , this is a real HOT engine and warms a lot from the exaust, too. My wife's right leg knows very well the problem... I've read that here in Italy someone has installed an other fan taken from a KTM 640 Rally on the right water cooler and he says that works

hello albert 1000,

in practice the acrapovic specification will give less heat to co driver. If you give this information to your wife, all three (driver, co driver and 950) will get a nice christmas present?

best regards sommer ktm rainer kroll
Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Website dieses Benutzers besuchen 
Albert1000Offline
Speichenputzer

BeitragVerfasst am : Fr, 22. Aug 2003, 18:32    Titel: Antworten mit Zitat

Hey, Rainer

do you know that you are a real bastard Laughing ? I know that Akrapovic oviously warms less than factory exaust (It hat hasn't Kat inside). This is the reason why I'm looking for that fucky Akrapovic, and not because I want to increase engine power ( for me is even too much!!!!), but if this can improve power at low and mid range rpm and give a better sound to my LC8, i won't complain about this... Razz
But i don't know if my wife let me spend so much money for my silver rocket just to change two brand new silencers... wacko

Ciao

Albert1000Offline
Speichenputzer

BeitragVerfasst am : Fr, 22. Aug 2003, 18:46    Titel: Antworten mit Zitat

Ciao Szepy,
the oil level effectly was a bit low and I poured 1/2 liter of expensive Mad fully syntetic motor oil: but when I did this the noise didn' t finish .
Yes, the problems is low pressure that don't allow the tensioner work well: but i don't know why I have low oil pressure!! Sad

May be is the sum of low oil level and low idle speed: tomorrow i will test everything, with full oil and 1400 rpm as idle speed.

Neues Thema eröffnen   Neue Antwort erstellen    forum.LC8.info Foren-Übersicht -> Adv - Technik/Reparatur Alle Zeiten sind GMT + 1 Stunde
Gehe zu Seite 1, 2  Weiter
Seite 1 von 2

Beiträge der letzten 24h (nach Forum sortiert)

Gehe zu:  
Rechte